Nicobar district is one of three districts in the Indian Union Territory (UT) of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The headquarters of the district is located on the island of Car Nicobar.
Geography of Nicobar
Nicobar Island is situated in the South-east of the Bay of Bengal. The area covered by Nicobar district is 1841 km².
Latitude of Nicobar city : 16 degree – 10 degree N
Longitude of Nicobar city : 92 degree- 94 degree E
About Nicobar District
Nicobar district came into existence on 1st of August , 1974. Before this, it was a part of District of Andamans.The Nicobar islands include 22 islands of various sizes, the largest being Great Nicobar.
People and Religion
98% of the Nicobarese are Christians and remaining 2 percent population consists of Muslim originally from Minicoy and Gujarat. Six distinct dialects and languages are spoken one Car Nicobar, another Chowra, Teressa and Bompoka, together have one, the centre Islands of Kamorta, Nancowry, Trinket and Katchal speak a fourth, Little Nocobar and Great Nicobar with their adjacent Islands have a fifth.
Culture of Nicobar District
The Nicobarese dance is a circular dance performed in or near the houses. Dancing is always accompanied by singing. Folklore is narrated and folk songs are sung on festive occasions.
Sub Division of Nicobar District
Nicobar District there is 2 sub division
Tehsils in Nicobar District
Nicobar District there is 5 tehsils
Islands in Nicobar District
Cities and Towns in Nicobar District
Transportation in Nicobar District
Nicobar district is connected to Port Blair with ship as well as air. Car Nicobar the district head quarter is 250 kms. Ship service is available between Port Blair and Nicobar district.
Wildlife Sanctuaries in Nicobar District
Campbell Bay National Park
Galathea National Park
Great Nicobar Biosphere Reserve
Colleges in Nicobar District
Sri Nagarjuna Degree College
Regional Medical Research Institute
Jawaharlal Nehru Rajkeeya Mahavidyalaya
United College of Arts and Science
Central Agricultural Research Institute, Port Blair
Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Government Polytechnic
Government Teachers Training Institute, Andaman
Tagore Government College of Education
Economy of Nicobar District
Main occupation of the tribal population is agriculture, which is basically limited to cocunut, arecanut and banana plantations. Industries in Andamans are Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC) conduit pipes and fittings, fiberglass, paints and varnishes, steel furniture, soft drinks and beverages.